Monday, January 11, 2010

XOXO Girls Challenge #1

Another challenge - this time I took on the XOXO Girls Blog Challenge #1.
This is my take on the layout by XOXO Girl Lynnette Davis.

I decided to do several layers for this layout - yellow cardstock, drk-brown cardstock on top, then the patterned paper, then I started to layer the photo, ribbons/fibers, etc. This image of my cat "Skitty-Kitty" I felt really showed his beautiful yellow eyes. I wanted to bring that color out even more in this photo with the highlights of yellow.

I didn't want to make the photo too "heavy" with a large mat so I just sanded the edges of the photo to give a think white outline, then I took brown paint and did a quick faux frame on the left side of the photo. Some people might not even notice it, but it brings emphasis to the main photo.

I roughed up the drk-brown cardstock quite a bit on this layout - first with distressing (literally ripping the paper edge) then with distress inking the paper before layering on the pattered paper.

The strip of Provo Craft handmade paper (the drk-brown almost brick pattern behind the photo) is actually flocked. Between flocked paper, dew-drop pebbles, and the fiber on the page - you just want to reach out and touch it!

Here is a bit more detail for the Tim Holtz Grungeboard hinges:

Product used:
  • Drk-brown cardstock
  • Yellow cardstock
  • Cosmo Cricket, Haunted: Ominous
  • Provo Crafts, Handmade Paper
  • KI Memories Alphabet Soup Acrylic letters - Mac-n-Cheese
  • Tim Holtz Grungeboard, plain elements
  • The Robin's Nest Dew Drops, Cowboy
  • Ranger, Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Vintage Photo
  • 24 gauge gold wire
  • Mini brads, gold mat
  • Lace, off white
  • Fiber, drk-brown
  • Ribbon, yellow
  • Zig Calligraphy Pen, Black
  • Kaiser Colour, Crafters Acrylic paint, Raw Umber

Here is Lynnette's original layout:

8 comments:

  1. WOW! You did an awesome job!!! Thank you for playing with us XOXO Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lynnette for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet LO! Thanks for joining our 1st prompt at XOXO Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome use of color! Your kitty really pops off the page! Thanks for playing along with the XOXO Girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments! I'll be sure to keep my eye on the XOXO Girls for future challenges too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great lift!!! loved those eyes!!! thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow gorgeous layout!!!! What an awesome take on the lift!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love your layout. I may have to check out the challenge site too. Thanks for popping by my blog and your comments.

    ReplyDelete